Written By: Kelly McGonigal
Publisher: Random House (Audio)
From the Press Release
Based on Stanford University psychologist Kelly McGonigal's wildly popular course "The Science of Willpower," The Willpower Instinct
is the first book to explain the new science of self-control and how it can be harnessed to improve our health, happiness, and productivity.
Informed by the latest research and combining cutting-edge insights from psychology, economics, neuroscience, and medicine, The Willpower Instinct
explains exactly what willpower is, how it works, and why it matters. For example, listeners will learn:
- Willpower is a mind-body response, not a virtue. It is a biological function that can be improved through mindfulness, exercise, nutrition, and sleep.
- Willpower is not an unlimited resource. Too much self-control can actually be bad for your health.
- Temptation and stress hijack the brain's systems of self-control, but the brain can be trained for greater willpower.
- Guilt and shame over your setbacks lead to giving in again, but self-forgiveness and self-compassion boost self-control.
- Giving up control is sometimes the only way to gain self-control. Willpower failures are contagious--you can catch the desire to overspend or overeat from your friends--but you can also catch self-control from the right role models.
About the Author:
KELLY McGONIGAL, PHD, is an award-winning psychology instructor at Stanford University, as well as a health educator for the School of Medicine's Health Improvement Program. She is also the author of Psychology Today's "Science of Willpower" blog and lives in Palo Alto, California.
Redeem a free book and get a subscription at Audiobooks.com/DrLaura Audiobooks.com is the only place that allows you to instantly listen to audiobooks wherever you are. You can stream up to 30,000 audiobooks instantly to your mobile device or tablet and the first one is FREE.
Already a subscriber to Audiobooks.com? Get: The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do To Get More of It